NeoLemmix V12.14.0-RC Released

Started by namida, October 19, 2024, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namida

The release candidate build for V12.14.0 is here. V12.4.0 may very well end up as the final version of NeoLemmix, so make sure to report any newly-introduced bugs (whether introduced in these RC builds, or in V12.13.0.)

Currently, I do not expect to move 12.14.0 to stable at least until bug reports for NL close altogether.

If you are looking for the stable version of NeoLemmix, you're after 12.13.0: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6835.0

Known issues
Currently none

Changelog, V12.13.0 -> V12.14.0-RC1
- Fixed bug: Fencers turning around at steel is inconsistent depending on the exact position of assignment.
- Fixed bug: Shimmiers can in some situations shimmy along the bottom of the level.
- Fixed bug: Shimmiers can be assigned to sliders who are leaving the bottom of the level.

Download (V12.14.0-RC1): https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=598
Note that unlike usual for RC builds, the editor is NOT included. This is because there are no changes needed to the editor for this update; so use the stable version of the editor instead.

This download only includes the Orig and OhNo styles, plus "default", "xmas" and "special". You can use the in-game Style Manager (in the Settings) to download other styles, or you can download styles manually:
- All styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=52
- Any individual style: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.11/XXXXXXXX.zip (replace XXXXXXXX with the style's name, eg: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.11/orig_fire.zip for orig_fire - and no, "12.11" in the link is not a typo)

What is a Release Candidate build in the context of NeoLemmix?
A release candidate build could be thought of as a pre-release version of an upcoming release. The idea is that except for bugfixes, or issues that were specifically noted as "should be tested during the RC phase before deciding", there won't be changes between it and the stable version, and thus it can be used to start updating content, as well as for ironing out last-minute bugs. Content specifically targetting it should not be released, though styles targetting it can be submitted for the next styles download.

What do I need to do with my existing content?
12.14 consists purely of bugfixes; it will not introduce any new features. However, as it includes physics bug fixes, make sure to run a mass replay check on your levels - especially those using the Shimmier or Fencer.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Strato Incendus

Okay, I didn't expect that one bug report of mine about the Fencer hitting steel to result in a new NeoLemmix version.  :lem-shocked:
I thought we'd simply have to live with the pixel precision of the assignment here (much like assigning a Builder or Miner can result in the lemming turning around or not, depending on a difference of just a few pixels).

I appreciate your commitment to solving this now, and even shifting what I thought would be the final version of NeoLemmix (12.13) to one version later (12.14). :thumbsup:

The Fencer and Shimmier however both feature heavily in my packs - the Fencer changes may even affect Lemmings World Tour - so the mass replay checks may uncover quite a few side effects.

I was planning to release Lemmings Hall of Fame for 12.13 today, but I don't think this makes any sense now, if 12.14 is on the horizon.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

IchoTolot

Just done a quick replay check for my stuff and I found 3 cases of replays that needed fixing for this RC.

All 3 times it was the case of "fencer hitting a steel wall right in front".

The levels were:

NL Intro Pack: Advanced training 3 and 5.
Lemming United: Neutrality 16.

So "Fencers turning around at steel is inconsistent depending on the exact position of assignment." should be the biggest cause for replay adjustments from my first round of testing.  :)

Edit: Attached the old "broken" replays for reference.

namida

Quote from: Strato Incendus on October 20, 2024, 10:51:16 AMOkay, I didn't expect that one bug report of mine about the Fencer hitting steel to result in a new NeoLemmix version.  :lem-shocked:
I thought we'd simply have to live with the pixel precision of the assignment here (much like assigning a Builder or Miner can result in the lemming turning around or not, depending on a difference of just a few pixels).

I appreciate your commitment to solving this now, and even shifting what I thought would be the final version of NeoLemmix (12.13) to one version later (12.14). :thumbsup:

The Fencer and Shimmier however both feature heavily in my packs - the Fencer changes may even affect Lemmings World Tour - so the mass replay checks may uncover quite a few side effects.

I was planning to release Lemmings Hall of Fame for 12.13 today, but I don't think this makes any sense now, if 12.14 is on the horizon.

I did say "there might be a couple more small bugfix updates" ;P.

It's simply a new major version (12.14.0 rather than 12.13.1) due to the fact it introduces physics changes. If it was just a couple of UI bugfixes, it would've simply become 12.13.1.

FWIW, I don't think the Slider / Shimmier changes will cause any issues. If they do, the issues are almost certianly bugs, not intended changes, as the changes to those skills relate specifically to situations that it's glitchy for them to even be in in the first place. The Fencer-steel situation is the big one to keep an eye on here, firstly because it can cause a different outcome in normal situations, and secondly because the Fencer code is a bit of a hot mess and even with this change being quite simple (just a difference in which situation takes priority, after the situations have been checked), side effects are not out of the question.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)