Having an issue with random music

Started by wysiwyg, August 21, 2024, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wysiwyg

Hi everyone, I've recently been getting back into Lemmings after a long break. I'm hoping someone can help as I'm having a small problem with Neolemmix.

Basically I like the tracks played randomly using RANDOM line in the music.nxmi file. This usually works fine, but every few levels no music plays, not even the fallback default music files. If I exit to the menu and load the level again it usually fixes the problem for another couple of levels. If I remove RANDOM and have them all play in order there doesn't seem to be any issue with any of the files.

It's not really a huge issue more of an inconvenience, but it happens on both the newest stable release and the last one. Anyone have any idea if I can fix the problem?

namida

Is the random in your own pack's music.nxmi, or a modification to the default one?
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

wysiwyg

It's in the music.nxmi in my on level pack. I've left the file in the data folder is unmodified.

Proxima

Could you post the music.nxmi file here? You might have made a typo or something that we might spot :P

wysiwyg

Sure, I've attached the file below. Its basically just different versions of the lemmings tunes from different systems for a bit of variety.

All the music files are in either .it or .ogg format. Could it be anything to do with the different formats, or shouldn't that make any difference?

kaywhyn

Welcome back! :thumbsup:

No, both .it and .ogg are supported, so that's not the problem at all. Everything seems to be fine with your music.nxmi file. I've tried it myself by putting it in a level pack that doesn't already have a music.nxmi file or the levels were pre-assigned tracks and indeed the tracks are picked randomly. I even tried it with just 1 or 2 of the original track lines while leaving in the acorn track lines and I never had an instance where no music plays because an orig track was always picked.

So, I'm not sure why for you it sometimes doesn't play music.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

wysiwyg

Its really strange, all of the files have been picked and played during a level at one point or another, so they are all named correctly. Also leaving them in set rotation order there seems to be no issue at all.

The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the files is corrupted and doesnt always load correctly. I think I'm going to try redownloading the music packs from the forum and try those as I think I'm still using files from waaay back when I was using Superlemmini.

WillLem

This might help, it's a simple tool which converts all audio files to .ogg (best size:quality format available). NL will recognise the files by name, as usual. Let me know if you need any help with it.

wysiwyg

Ooh thanks, I'll give that a try. I think its got to be an encoding issue with some of my files if noone else is experiencing any problems.