NeoLemmix V12.13.0, Editor V1.42 Released

Started by namida, August 20, 2024, 09:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namida

More than three years after the last major stable version updated, the next one is finally here!

The main attraction of course is the new object types:
- Portals - Like teleporters, but bidirectional and not rate-limited
- Skill Assigners - A lemming passing through one of these will gain a permanent skill
- Skill Removers - A lemming passing through one of these will lose all his permanent skills
- Neutralizers - A lemming passing through one of these will become a neutral lemming
- Deneutralizer - A neutral lemming passing through one of these will revert to a regular lemming

Aside from this, there's a big bunch of physics bugfixes. This will be the last big batch of physics fixes; it's possible we might see one or two more small ones in the future (especially if they relate to the new objects).

Changelog, V12.12.5 -> V12.13.0
########
# Misc #
########
> Now being compiled with Delphi 11.3 and using Graphics32 V3.

################
# New Features #
################
> Added five new object types:
--- Portals: These are like teleporters, but constant rather than triggered (think fire vs trap) and bidirectional.
--- Assigners: These assign a permanent skill to any lemming that passes through the trigger area (including neutrals / zombies).
--- Deassigners: These remove all permanent skills from any lemming that passes through the trigger area (including neutrals / zombies).
--- Neutralizer: These turn any regular lemming that passes through the trigger area into a neutral lemming.
--- Deneutralizer: These turn any neutral lemming that passes through the trigger area into a regular lemming.
> Added an option to disable music when testplaying levels from the editor.
> Added support for a "max N skill types" talisman.
> Record for fewest different skill types is now tracked. (Quantity only; it does not and will not track which combinations were used.)
> Replay files store the frame on which they are expected to complete, and mass replay check makes use of this to reduce the chance of "undetermined" outcome.
> You can now configure what the game does when you run out of lemmings (exit to postview vs freeze and allow you to rewind); thanks to WillLem and Simon for contributing this feature.

###################
# Fixes - Physics #
###################
> Fixed bug: A basher who is also a slider will continue for more strokes than he should if reaching an edge while bashing.
> Fixed bug: A builder cannot be assigned when the lemming's Y coordinate is 1 (ie: the highest position it can be without being considered outside the level).
> Fixed bug: A climber who falls after hitting his head on an overhang, where the fall height is exactly the minimum fall distance that is not survivable, may survive the fall if they started climbing from higher or lower than the floor they land on (due to terrain alterations while he's climbing or wall-grabbing as a Jumper).
> Fixed bug: A lemming moving multiple pixels in one frame may pass through thin trigger areas without being affected.
> Fixed bug: An ascender can get stuck in terrain (which he may then be able to step up through if thin enough) under certain circumstances.
> Fixed bug: A setup involving blockers or one way fields, stackers, and walkers could be used to move a lemming through walls.
> Fixed bug: A slider could be assigned a shimmier as they reach the bottom of a wall and turn around.
> Fixed bug: A slider, in certain setups, may land on a pixel behind him (and turn around) even when no wall is present to prevent him walking the way he's already facing.
> Fixed bug: Blockers' detection of other blockers when assigning was slightly incorrect and could lead to valid assignments being prevented in some cases.
> Fixed bug: Builders and platformers going through a teleporter cannot always be followed by other lemmings.
> Fixed bug: Some object checks don't behave as they should immediately after teleporting.
> Fixed bug: Some Slider behaviors that should also be applied to the Dehoister weren't.
> Fixed bug: Stoner-Ohnoers can enter exits without having ground underneath them.
> Fixed bug: A jumper going through a teleporter crashes the game.

#################
# Fixes - Other #
#################
> Fixed bug: Autosave replay filename setting may get wiped when modifying settings unless it's a preset.
> Fixed bug: Update Check and Autosave Replay Filename are enabled when first entering the config menu even if the respective options they need (online features / autosave replays) are turned off.
> Fixed bug: If the selected skill / etc graphic is semitransparent, it gets redrawn over the pause icon when backwards framestepping, effectively becoming more opaque each time.
> Fixed bug: Laserer's laser remains visible if the lemming is removed (eg. by a trap) or teleports while lasering.
> Fixed bug: Level version numbers are saved to cleansed level files / replay files in decimal, whereas the editor saves them as hexidecimal. They are now saved as hexidecimal by the game too (older files with decimal values will still function correctly, as the file format allows any numeric value to be stored in either decimal or hex and always has done so).
> Fixed bug: "Don't replay after backwards frameskip" setting not written to the config file.
> Fixed bug: Mass Replay Check may cause data loss if the Move option is selected and multiple input files end up with the same output filename.

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=592 (permalink to V12.13.0)
Styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=52 (link will always point to the latest styles download)
Editor: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=591 (permalink to V1.42)

You do not need to download the styles here - you can download them as needed in-game instead. This link is provided for the convenience of users who wish to download all styles in one go and/or do not wish to enable online features in NeoLemmix.

Game source code (Delphi): https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixplayer/
Editor source code (C#): https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixeditor/

If you are upgrading from V12.12.X or earlier, please set up in a new folder (you can copy over your Levels and Settings folders). If you are upgrading from V12.13.0-RC builds, you can just extract over the top of it.

What do I need to do with my existing content?
As is always the case with a major version update, you should run a mass replay check on your levels to verify that your solutions still work, and fix any replays (or levels, if necessary) that have broken. This update in particular contains a LOT of physics fixes, so this step is especially important for this update.

Custom styles should not need any special attention for this update.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Strato Incendus

Congratulations, namida! Just a question, since I haven't been following 12.13 RC:

Which styles do have the portals, skill assigners / removers, and (de-)neutralizers? I've updated the styles, but I can't find these new objects anywhere in the editor.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

namida

QuoteWhich styles do have the portals, skill assigners / removers, and (de-)neutralizers? I've updated the styles, but I can't find these new objects anywhere in the editor.

namida_lab has a portal, and eric_special has some of these (maybe all? Not sure). namida_systemtest also has all of them, but the graphics are not really ideal for actual levels - though would be suitable for use as placeholders to use in unreleased levels while you wait for (or make) proper ones.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Strato Incendus

Thanks, I've found the one in namida_lab, so I assume the others are there, too! :thumbsup:

I guess I just assumed these objects to be part of the "default" collection, so that they could be accessed from any tileset. But with splat pads and anti-splat pads, I also know I have to go to the Wasteland tileset, for example. So I guess it's just about getting used to and memorising which tilesets feature these objects, so that we can access them quickly whenever we need them for a given level.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

namida

If it eventually emerges that only a single design really exists and people just pick that one from [whatever style it's in], this could be a good argument for moving it to Default. NeoLemmix provides a way to do this without breaking existing levels (the aliasing feature).
My projects