LemOS

Started by The64Watcher, August 10, 2024, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silken Healer

Quote from: namida on August 18, 2024, 12:48:25 AM
TurboWrap isn't going to do anything Scratch can't do; it will just run a bit more efficiently.

This is actually wrong. TurboWarp does have more features that regular Scratch can't do. But like with my previous post I still agree with the sentiment of everything you said. TurboWarp, even though it has some more features, is still on the same level as Scratch, and nowhere near the level of Game Maker Studio/Clickteam Fusion/RPG Maker etc.

Silken Healer

Quote from: The64Watcher on August 17, 2024, 08:18:42 PM
also, simon, i dont know how you got mod instead of prob lem.

As far as I know, Prob Lem never applied for mod. And Simon is an administrator not a moderator?

namida

Quote from: Silken Healer on August 18, 2024, 01:30:05 PM

As far as I know, Prob Lem never applied for mod. And Simon is an administrator not a moderator?

Prob Lem was a moderator for about two weeks. She offered to temporarily take a mod role just to help tidy up organisation of the boards when we moved to the current site (as the boards on this one weren't quite a 1:1 match for previous iterations that we imported posts from); she never wanted the role on a permanent basis. I'm not entirely sure how The64Watcher even knows Prob Lem, seeing as Prob Lem stopped visting the site several years before 64 signed up.

I can say that I don't think we've ever kicked someone off the mod team for any reason other than "they haven't logged onto the site in a long time; so we removed their mod access so we don't have abandoned accounts with that access", and generally speaking, if such a user were to return to the site, we'd be happy to give their mod status back if they wanted it. Aside from that, people have only been removed as staff because they specifically asked to be.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Silken Healer

Quote from: namida on August 18, 2024, 08:07:01 PM
Quote from: Silken Healer on August 18, 2024, 01:30:05 PM

Prob Lem was a moderator for about two weeks. She offered to temporarily take a mod role just to help tidy up organisation of the boards when we moved to the current site (as the boards on this one weren't quite a 1:1 match for previous iterations that we imported posts from); she never wanted the role on a permanent basis. I'm not entirely sure how The64Watcher even knows Prob Lem, seeing as Prob Lem stopped visting the site several years before 64 signed up.

I can say that I don't think we've ever kicked someone off the mod team for any reason other than "they haven't logged onto the site in a long time; so we removed their mod access so we don't have abandoned accounts with that access", and generally speaking, if such a user were to return to the site, we'd be happy to give their mod status back if they wanted it. Aside from that, people have only been removed as staff because they specifically asked to be.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about who the user Prob Lem was, I saw her first from the pinned topic about The Lemmings Fan Goods Index (If I had to guess that would be how The64Watcher found her as that is a pinned/important thread) and I thought that was a really clever name.

WillLem

To add to what's already been said by Namida and Dullstar:

Having ideas is a great thing, it means that you're an imaginative person with a vibrant mind that's firing on all cylinders. This is a great start!

It's also good that you're bringing your ideas to people with more experience and knowledge, and asking for help/advice/feedback. That's an important step, and well done for taking it.

However, since you appear to have many ideas about lots of different things, my advice (if you want it) would be to choose one idea and pursue it for at least one month. Put ALL other ideas aside in favour of whichever one you've chosen. Let it grow and develop, and take it as far as you can on your own before approaching anybody else for collaboration purposes. That doesn't mean you can't discuss it during that month, but don't expect anybody else to contribute anything just yet.

And, don't be put off by not getting the response you wanted. Keep going with it if it's an idea you truly believe in and want to pursue.

To respond more directly to the idea in this topic: I like the idea of a Lemmings-themed OS, it's an interesting concept.

Some questions:

Are you wanting this to be an actual standalone native OS, or more like a virtual OS running on something like Windows or Linux?
How would it differ from any other OS (Windows, macOS, Linux)?
What would it offer to Lemmings fans/players that would attract them to it?

Silken Healer

Quote from: WillLem on August 25, 2024, 09:49:39 PM
To respond more directly to the idea in this topic: I like the concept of a Lemmings-themed OS, it's an interesting idea. Some questions:

Are you wanting this to be an actual standalone native OS, or more like a virtual OS running on something like Windows or Linux?

He's not devloping a real operating system, he's just devloping a mock operating system.

WillLem

Quote from: Silken Healer on August 25, 2024, 09:53:46 PM
He's not devloping a real operating system, he's just devloping a mock operating system.

I realise that, but maybe the OP is just interested in talking about the idea rather than actually developing it at this stage. Nothing wrong with that as long as the understanding is that it's just a discussion that might not necessarily go anywhere. After all, Forums are a place to discuss things and, to be fair to the OP, at least they're trying to get discussions going and contribute in some way, even if they perhaps need a bit of gentle encouragement in the right direction at present.

Silken Healer

Why does the bot keep on saying there's a new message on IRC when there isn't? ???

WillLem

Quote from: Silken Healer on August 25, 2024, 10:20:20 PM
Why does the bot keep on saying there's a new message on IRC when there isn't? ???

It sometimes happens when a reply is edited or reposted whilst you're typing a reply.