[Bug][Player] Lemmings Get Zombified Before Appearing or Popping Out of Receiver

Started by kaywhyn, July 28, 2024, 12:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaywhyn

See attached level. This was observed in v12.12.5, but it should still be present in the 12.13 RC build as well. I first noticed this while playing and solving 400 metres 16 from DavidLems and this took me by complete surprise as well. Currently, when using a teleporter, Lemmings can turn into zombies before they appear or pop out of a receiver if a zombie happens to walk into the receiver trigger in the meantime. IMO, they should only be able to be turned into zombies after they leave the receiver, not anytime before that.

Unrelated to this, but I checked with Lemmings using an exit, and it seems that they are completely immune to zombies once they start exiting, which makes sense because Lemmings are savable, zombies are not. So, IMO teleporting Lemmings should be immune to being turned into a zombie until they come out of the receiver.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

WillLem

This is one that might be questionable as to whether or not it's a bug, but I agree it is and it's a very simple fix so I've gone ahead and resolved it. Here's what I did, you may wish to do it differently:

Suggested fix

Easy fix, not worth a PR. Add this to line 6305 in LemGame:

and not CurrentLemming.LemIsZombie
and not CurrentLemming.LemTeleporting then <---------------------------------- add this
  RemoveLemming(CurrentLemming, RM_ZOMBIE);

namida

As this bug was not newly introduced in the latest stable version (12.12.X) at the time of reporting, it will not be considered for fixing. In particular for this one, zombies and teleporters have both been NL features for a very long time and this has not caused problems until now, so it certianly is not a major issue.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)