Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Lemmings sometimes survive the fall onto the splat-pad  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
I know the cutoff date for bug reports already passed. But I'm going to reports some of them(probably that can be used to break real levels) anyway for archiving purpose.

If a lemming start jumping from a platform lower than the ground with splat-pad, he survives the fall onto the splat-pad.
The deciding factor here is whether the lemming transit to the faller state even for a brief moment or not.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Lemmings sometimes survive the fall onto the splat-pad
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 06:40:53 am »
We care about gravity here, then: the ideal premise appears to be that wherever in-game gravity causes the lem to move downwards, the effects of a splat pad should apply.

Questions:

1) Should Reachers that haven’t found shimmyable terrain be affected on descent?

2) Should upwards-force also cause interaction with a splat pad? (i.e. Jumper and/or Reacher hitting a splat pad during the ascent phase of the action)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 02:46:36 pm by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 08:37:25 am »
Here I just see how I expected things to work to be honest. As a result I would say no bug here.

During the jumper arc, which starts and ends at +- 0 pixels, the lemming does not fall and therefore does survive the spalt pad.
Fall distance calculation after a jump only starts after the jumper arc as well.

When he starts of higher as in your example he transitions to a faller after the arc and therefore splats correctly.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 09:51:42 am »
I would agree with Icho here in there being no bug. It's similar to the case of a Lemming descending a slope of 1, 2, or 3 pixels in the trigger area of a splat pad. In this case, the Lemming never transitions into a faller and so therefore survives the splat pad. It's only if he descends 4 pixels or more, where he does transition into a faller. Then he will splat inside the splat pad's trigger area. The exception to this is if the Lemming is a floater or a glider. Then he's always immune to the splat pad, even if you don't ever see him pull out his brolly or gliding device before landing inside the splat pad's trigger area.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 10:59:33 am »
I would also argue "it's not a bug, it's a feature" because logically the lemming is still in the Jumper phase when they touch the terrain and haven't entered the Faller state at any point on the examples where they survive.  At least for me, it's game logic I can understand and also easy enough to test if a level includes it.  I would argue that level designers should probably avoid this set-up to avoid confusion, but that's up to them.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 11:14:27 am »
The splat pad is the bug. It's also a feature. :8():

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 02:49:30 pm »
I seem to recall that this was specifically discussed and decided to be the correct behaviour during the "What should the Jumper physics be like?" discussion prior to implementing it.

EDIT: Splat pad discussion starts on page 8.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 03:05:54 pm by Proxima »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2024, 02:56:23 pm »
FWIW, I agree that this isn't a bug, at least in terms of Jumper physics.

However, there's a different angle to look at this one, as Simon alluded to: the splat pad is the source of the bug here, not the Jumper.

A case could be made for in-game gravity requiring splat pad interaction, and that would include the descent phase of Jumper and Reacher (and any other gravity-affected movement). I’d also then want to look at whether a splat pad should respond to upwards force as well (e.g. the ascent phase of Jumper and Reacher), making both positive and negative Gs a factor.

I suggest that it should either be left as-is or “fixed” only alongside these considerations, and certainly not in isolation as a Jumper bug.

Offline The64Watcher

• jr brony nerd
  • uhh tomato if you see this hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 05:35:30 pm »
i think the problem is the skill changes, when you apply jumper to a lemming, the game injects a sequence, after, THEN it becomes a faller thats vulnerable to the splad. (sorry i just to...) so then the solution is to add a new skill, lobber, you cant apply this but the title is used for a desending lobber, so...
if(Skill == Lobber or Faller){
func.Splat
}
//Ideas?
i am the best rec roomie in the forums yall