Competitive Multiplayer Levels

Started by DanielOakfield, July 18, 2024, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielOakfield

Thanks so much, Simon for taking some time to check the maps!

I appreciate everyone's playing style is different, and can't make everyone happy ;) I like diversity so that in some maps I am terrible, in some others I have my strategy and I win more easily :lemcat:

Yeah, I believe I stopped hiding parts, some levels are a few years old, but I kept them as they are for their historical value ha!

I'd be delighted if you could include my levels, of course, most of the maps are 2p; I generally do symmetrical maps so if multiple goals are present they can be played well 2/4... and so on.

Please feel free to rename the files as you need, they are not in any specific order, I will name any future levels using the naming convention (I already have a bunch more ready)!

Look forward to playing with you :cute:

Flopsy

We'll certainly have to dedicate some time to playing some of these levels in the upcoming Lix session on 18th August (topic is in Lix multiplayer dates forum https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6806.0 :lix-cool:). Problem is because they are mostly 2 player maps, we need maps which would be suitable for multiple players per team.

Perhaps there are a few maps you could recommend we play where if there are 4-6 people for example and we have 2-3 players per Lix colour. Could be a map where it is larger, has multiple entrances and there is a lot going on usually.

Since these levels are going to get added to the Lix download anyway, I'm sure we'll have some favourites over the time spent playing them.

I also look forward to playing with you DanielOakfield, you sound like a very experienced player :)

namida

QuoteI can rename the levels automatically, making the filenames all-lowercase and stripped of spaces. Or are you concerned about the ordering within the directory?

This can easily be averted by prepending a number (representing the order) to the name. Although in the case of a multiplayer map, which is likely going to be searched for by name rather than by order in a group, this probably isn't desirable in the first place?
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Simon

Quote from: DanielOakfield on July 29, 2024, 01:21:01 PM
I stopped hiding parts, some levels are a few years old, but I kept them as they are for their historical value ha!

I recommend to keep everything visible. I can comb through the maps myself and make everything visible, but it will take a while. This combing is too short notice for Lix 0.10.26 which I'll release this weekend. I've kept your levels earmarked for one of the next releases. Ideally, you comb through the maps yourself and make everything visible!

We can still select the maps in the multiplayer session tomorrow even though they won't yet be merged into the main download.

Some maps are too big and they trigger the VRAM warning, and I'd like the merged maps not to trigger the warning. On the other hand, you have a particular style with those big maps, and it's interesting. No decision yet.

-- Simon

DanielOakfield

Hi Simon,

I replaced the file in the original post, here's what I modified

• Renamed all the files as per the standard requested, small caps no spaces
  • Shrunk the map that was giving the VRAM warning
  • Changed the background color in maps with hidden traps, so that everything is visible
  • I changed the author to Hyperlodge
  • Added 25 new levels :D (more will follow at some point)

DanielOakfield

Added a few more levels to the original post. Some are 4-player levels, which seem to be preferred by you guys :)

Flopsy

4 player is a good middle ground to make your levels to generally. Even if we have more than 4 players, we could have players team up on one Lix colour.

4 player also seems to be a number we are guaranteed to get at our arranged Lix sessions. Whenever I make new maps now, I either make them to be 4 player or 5 player typically, if the map is well received. I then make more player iterations! :lix-cool:

DanielOakfield

I added a few more 4p levels and fixed a few symmetry issues. The file is updated in the original post!