Author Topic: The Level Edges Topic  (Read 2336 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
The Level Edges Topic
« on: July 02, 2024, 01:11:25 pm »
This topic is to catalog how the level edges (left, right, top, bottom) behave on each of the various ports/clones of Lemmings (1991) - (this topic may also be updated to feature the same information for ports of Lemmings 2: The Tribes at some point).

How do the level edges behave on each of the ports/clones of Lemmings (1991)

PortLeftRightTopBottom
AmigaSolidUnconfirmedSolidDeadly
Apple MacUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmed
Atari STUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmed
DOSSolidOpenSolidDeadly
PC-98UnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmed
SEGA MegaDrive/GenesisSolidUnconfirmedSolidDeadly
SEGA Master SystemUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmed
SNESSolidUnconfirmedUnconfirmedDeadly
Sony PlayStation (2/PSP)UnconfirmedUnconfirmedOpenDeadly
Windows '95Game crashesUnhandled force-fieldOpenDeadly
ZX SpectrumUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmedUnconfirmed
CloneLeftRightTopBottom
LixDeadlyDeadlyDeadlyDeadly
NeoLemmixDeadlyDeadlyDeadlyDeadly
SuperLemmixForce-fieldForce-fieldForce-fieldDeadly

Definitions:

Unconfirmed: Behaviour yet to be tested & confirmed

Open: Lemming is able to cross the edge and remain active (but not necessarily assignable)
Solid: Lemming reacts to edge as if it's unclimbable steel
Force-field: Lemming reacts to edge as if it's a Blocker or one-way field
Deadly: Lemming is removed after crossing edge
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 11:01:21 am by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Level Edges Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 01:51:38 pm »
For Dos, all edges are solid except for the bottom, which is deadly. So, Dos is essentially identical to Amiga. However, the right edge is unusual, as both Simon and Mindless have documented in this topic:

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6331.0

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 03:41:58 pm »
Thanks for the link, kaywhyn.

According to Simon's findings when investigating DOS edges, the right edge is eventually solid, but lemmings can cross the boundary and not die, so the given level edge can be interpreted as open.

I need to check this again on Amiga for the same reason.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 09:49:46 pm »
According to Simon's findings when investigating DOS edges, the right edge is eventually solid, but lemmings can cross the boundary and not die, so the given level edge can be interpreted as open.
It depends what you define as the boundary of the level, really. If you define it as where scrolling cuts off, then yes. If you define it as where physics stops behaving normally (in particular with regard to whether terrain can be present at runtime without glitchiness), then no.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 12:00:03 am »
Gif for the behavior for Winlemm 95 on the Right, looks like force-field, but the Lemming clips through. Current stairs were nearing the end, so maybe not fully definitive. As I tried on the Left the game crashed, Maybe I try again later.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 12:20:54 am by Forestidia86 »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 11:07:00 am »
It depends what you define as the boundary of the level, really. If you define it as where scrolling cuts off, then yes

Wherever the lemming remains visible (not including minimap). So, at least in DOS, this would be the scroll cut-off.

Gif for the behavior for Winlemm 95 on the Right, looks like force-field, but the Lemming clips through. Current stairs were nearing the end, so maybe not fully definitive.

Thanks for testing this. I think I remember doing this a while ago and realising that the lems end up stacking bricks upwards due to the edge attempting to turn the lem but the Builder action being unhandled (i.e. not cancelled or moved out of the "turning" area as necessary). It's partly what inspired SLX's force-field edges, as I recall.

As I tried on the Left the game crashed, Maybe I try again later.

Confirmed, I get a crash as well. It seems the edges in Windows '95 aren't properly handled, and the devs either hoped nobody would bother to try making it to the edge, or it just never came up in development as a question.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 08:25:49 pm »
I would say that Top in Winlemm 95 is deadly. At the end of the gif the Lemmings count decreases from 80 to 79. Walker go over the stairs though as if open.