Author Topic: Standalone NeoLemmix pack for Oh No More Lemmings?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline SlimKirby

• View Profile
Standalone NeoLemmix pack for Oh No More Lemmings?
« on: June 30, 2024, 12:47:35 pm »
Hi. First and foremost, I apologize if I didn't post this in the right section or if there is a stickied post somewhere that would have this information (I felt I looked around best I could, but didn't notice anything that caught my eye, heh), but I'm looking into doing an LP on Youtube of Oh No More Lemmings after I covered the SNES version of the OG Lemmings a couple of years ago, and felt doing ONML would be a nice follow-up. However, I've been having some issues finding the best way to do ONML. My recording software doesn't do DOSBox very well, and I even considered the PS1 version, but with how precise some levels get, I think I'd almost prefer having mouse controls. I then discovered NeoLemmix and thought this engine would be the best way to cover it as it has all the quality of life features I was looking for. However, when I downloaded NeoLemmix, it has all the levels from Lemmings and its expansions combined in the Lemmings Redux pack and I'm not seeing how or if there is a way to separate them so I can just play through the Oh No More Lemmings levels (in their original order as well). Is there a way I could do or accomplish that using NeoLemmix? Even if it meant I had to somehow create a folder and drag and drop them all or something? I am personally really digging the NeoLemmix environment too, but I don't want to just jump around the master level pack either, especially if I don't even know if Redux has all the levels to begin with.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Standalone NeoLemmix pack for Oh No More Lemmings?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 12:52:19 pm »
https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=official

Download Oh No! More Lemmings!: V12.7-B and unzip into the main folder of NeoLemmix
NeoLemmix_V12.12.5/levels/OhNoMoreLemmings

and you're good to go! 8-)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline SlimKirby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 01:04:26 pm »
https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=official

Download Oh No! More Lemmings!: V12.7-B and unzip into the main folder of NeoLemmix
NeoLemmix_V12.12.5/levels/OhNoMoreLemmings

and you're good to go! 8-)

Perfect! Thank you so much! This was very helpful and a quick response; really appreciated! :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 08:17:09 pm »
@SlimKirby

Welcome to the Forums! :lemcat:

You may also want to give SuperLemmix a look. It has all of the original DMA packs (including ONML) included as standard (so, no extra download/installation steps needed), and also has a Classic Mode which allows you to enable/disable all of the player assist features at the touch of a button, depending on your preferred play style. Also, Timed Bombers have been restored to the skillsets of all the original levels, so you can enjoy the game as originally intended alongside all of the other QOL features.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 07:04:15 am by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 11:03:17 pm »
The main reason for including Lemmings Redux rather than the (mostly) unmodified official packs is that a lot of the official levels were either bad levels in the first place (builderfests like Hunt The Nessy), or just don't work as well under NeoLemmix (for example, any level that revolves around bomber timing or other execution difficulty factors, don't hold up so well when bombers are instant and gameplay can be framestepped / rewinded). It's also an opportunity to showcase some of the less-known official levels that are really good, such as many from the Genesis version of the game. Add in the other minor improvements like fixes to particularly bad backroutes and the greatly improved ordering of levels, as well as that Redux applies many of the modern fanmade content standards (like no unnecessary time limits), and yeah, just didn't make sense to go with the direct conversions instead of Redux.

Another issue is the disputes around the "authentic" way to convert them. Some conversions (like the ones Armani linked above) mostly stay as a direct conversion but trim unused space at the level sides. Some don't even do that, and only make modifications where physics differences in NL make the level impossible / significantly harder than it should be. And some won't even do that, expecting just a direct as-is conversion. There's the disagreement as to whether Fun 6 should retain blockers, given that the point of the level is to teach the player about Bombers, and Blockers were only provided due to the bombers being timed in the original versions (which they aren't in NL). There's also levels with regular terrain overlapping steel in ways that are intended purely for decoration such as Tricky 4 / Taxing 7 - in NeoLemmix, this would result in a weird mish-mash of steel and non-steel pixels, so there's the question of if/how to deal with that.

Lemmings Redux works well, as it's a good bridge between the official games and NL fanmade content - you get mostly the levels you're familiar with (but a few you might not be thrown in, eg. those from the Genesis version, if you haven't played that), while seeing the different standards you can expect in made-for-NL content (in particular around abuse of time limits, and keeping the lemming count to a reasonable amount where practical).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 01:04:46 am by namida »
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2024, 11:26:20 pm »
SlimKirby? The Slimkirby? I did not expect to see you here, If you're looking into NeoLemmix, the forum here has a lot of things here to help, tutorials and such. and an introduction pack. We hope that we helped you out with what you need.