Author Topic: Level Design Contest #30 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 19480 times)

Offline JRT

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #30 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2024, 02:14:57 pm »
And this one saves all 20!

If the solution is what i think it is, then...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh this breaks the concept of the level completely.
To fix...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:35:58 pm by JRT »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2024, 03:14:09 pm »
I wish you luck in fixing the level.  Sorry to cause such a break.  I've learnt the hard way that the more intricate a solution, the easier it is to break.  Also some advanced tricks that one might not be aware of is also a destroyer of souls (blockers in digger pits did it for me once!)

On another note, after a lot of fiddling, I got the gold talisman for "March of the Neutrals"!

ADDENDUM: Also completed:
Set to Kill! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 04:08:14 pm by Crane »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2024, 06:43:00 pm »
@ Crane

your Gold Talisman solution to my Rule 2 level is fine although yours is a lot more fiddy than than the intended one.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2024, 06:44:55 pm »
I did wonder that - I'm glad you approve though!  I dare ask... what's the name of the song that the level's music track is based on?  I know the melody, but unfortunately I only know it through a rude version!!

EDIT: Found it.  It's "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".

ADDENDUM: Got another gold talisman solution.  Not quite as fiddly, but still fiddly near the start.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 06:57:54 pm by Crane »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2024, 06:58:52 pm »
The song is When Johnny comes marching home

ie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtEqgG2EdTs

I got the track used in the level from LB999's Classical Lemmings here on the forum

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2024, 07:07:28 pm »
Thanks Ericderkovits.  I never knew it it was an American Civil War song.  Now I'm trying to learn the lyrics and sing it correctly to the melody!

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2024, 07:18:10 pm »
also your 2nd Gold Talisman solution (Rule 2) is fine (way less fiddy)

@ Crane
Here is my Gold Talisman solution for comparison.  For anyone else don't download and watch if you don't want to be spoiled.

also included the Silver Talisman solution although if you solve the Gold one it automatically get's the silver too.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2024, 08:33:06 pm »
I've made an edit to the starting post underneath the link Icho provided where there are some styles needed for a few levels in this contest pack have now been included in the standard tileset library. So, this means that you may now either continue to grab the required styles through the link Icho provided in the starting post, or you can get them through the styles manager in the NL player. Either way works :thumbsup:

Playing these levels has improved my solving skill quite a bit, although I am somewhat slower than you and Armani... certainly not fast enough for a YouTube series yet!  Certain tricks I wouldn't have thought of though, since I'm still getting to grips with some of the newer skills.

Hehe, thanks for the compliment ;) Yea, the new skills do take some getting used to. Definitely a lot of possibilities and puzzle potential with the 21 skills available for NL!

I dare ask... what's the name of the song that the level's music track is based on?  I know the melody, but unfortunately I only know it through a rude version!!

EDIT: Found it.  It's "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".

Yea, there are some songs that use that tune but with different lyrics. In particular, a popular children's song that uses the tune is "The Ants Go Marching." When I first heard "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" not too long ago, I thought oh hey, it's the music that "The Ants Go Marching" uses.

Also @Crane, I think that might be a backroute for Icho's R2. You do have some things intended but others not so much. It's Icho's call, but I think he would agree with me there. Nice find!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 08:44:04 pm by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2024, 03:53:28 am »
Re-completed "The Incredible Doom Machine" - something tells me this might be intended!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2024, 04:19:36 am »
Got another solution to "The Incredible Doom Machine".

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2024, 10:09:50 pm »
Finally got the timing right on "Very Particular Set of Skills"!  Liam Neeson would be proud!

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2024, 02:08:51 pm »
@Crane

My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2024, 05:40:38 am »
@Crane

Sadly, I wish I could say you are right with your first solution resolve for my R2, but both solutions are backroutes. For V7, I restored the basher pickups to where they were in V5 before I moved them again before seeing Armani's resolve. We both thought it be safe for me to move them to close to the lattice per his feedback, but you were able to find a way to cheese the level. Great find! I really should listen to the advice of it being risky to revert changes as that can either open up the same backroutes again or even new and different ones :forehead: Then again, I tend to be very indecisive when it comes to backroute fixing. It's also something that stresses me out a lot. Over the years, I seem to spend way more time thinking of how to backroute fix than the time it takes me to play and solve levels! Even when I have been participating in 9 consecutive LDC's, I still haven't gotten a whole lot better at backroute fixing :( That's also when I even do extensive backroute testing of my own! In any case, it's been great seeing solutions from people other than Armani and Icho, such as you in this LDC, or like zanzindorf in the previous one. Overall, I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to backroute fixing! :laugh:

Once more, I thank you for all the resolves but most importantly playing my levels! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2024, 08:21:37 am »
For those who want to see the intended solutions to my levels, here it is :laugh:
youtube link
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2024, 11:53:10 am »
For those who want to see the intended solutions to my levels, here it is :laugh:
youtube link

Lookin' good, Armani! :thumbsup: 8-)
Level packs developed:

Lemmings Heritage
Lemmings New Worlds
Holiday Lemmings 2024 (with Armani, in development)