Level Design Contest #30 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)

Started by IchoTolot, June 08, 2024, 06:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crane

Completed "Snow Way!" - this feels intended.

Spoiler
I had a feeling that the "Denial" set-up played a role in this level, but couldn't figure out the exact configuration until now.  Unfortunately the up and down arrows really give it away.  I would suggest reverting back to the left and right arrows respectively if you can, possibly by modifying the terrain to the left of the left pillar slightly so a miner on the right-hand side of the pillar won't stop and will go through the floor and either splat or mine into an ice blower (thereby only saving 17 out of 18).

EDIT: It helps if I remember the attachment!

ericderkovits

crane's solutions to my Rule 1 and Rule 2 are good

JRT's solution to my Rule 3 is nowhere near the intended solution (Super weird solution), so updated it to V3 by adding more steel

Armani

played through all the lix levels + NeoLemmix's rule1 levels 8-)

Lix

Cycle Decomposition: Practically a basher-only level but deceivingly tough one. You really need to think carefully when and where to "decompose" the cycle giving the worker lix enough head start to clear the way the exit. Very clever miniature level, I love it :thumbsup:
Misaligned: This level was very easy. I literally one-shot the level.

High Striker
There are many ways to fail the level by one lemming :crylaugh: pretty tough level! The 94 release rate screams out the climber inside the basher tunnel trick.. but my solution works too!
Mosaic Lemmings
Looks intended. Delaying the swimmer assignment as long as possible was the hardest thing to see.
Comm-Link Online!
I had a climber and floater left over. But everything else looks so intended to me. :crylaugh: Sending a climber to the top part of the level was the hardest thing to see and the basher+bomber to make a hole for the crowd to step on is also very clever.
One Thing At A Time2
A little bit too repetitive and execution-heavy for my taste. It was basically a trial and error process. I like the concept behind the level though ;).
Snow Way!
Probably my favorite among rule1 levels, assuming my solution is intended. :D I quickly figured out the builder+miner combo. But the blocker position right before the trap was very clever. I saved one more lemming than required, I guess the precise assginment of the rightmost blocker save me the extra one.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

JRT

Quote from: ericderkovits on June 10, 2024, 06:23:32 AM
JRT's solution to my Rule 3 is nowhere near the intended solution (Super weird solution), so updated it to V3 by adding more steel

Just saw V3, no wonder my solution is considered "wild" :D

kaywhyn

@Crane and @Armani

Both solutions to R1 are extremely close to intended that I was really on the fence of calling them acceptable. As a matter of fact, Armani's solution is closer to intended than Crane's, but Crane's isn't too far off as well. In any case, they at least aren't major backroutes. After some thought, there's one last thing I want to try as I think it would probably force the solution I had in mind for my R1. For V4, I took Crane's suggestion for some kind of fix for the area to the left of the exit and therefore added some more steamblower traps, as well as reverted the OWAs back to V2's, but the major change is the Lemming count has been increased to 50 and hence the save requirement is 48. I feel as if the level can still be cheesed here with this Lemming count and if it turns out that it can, then I'm thinking it's just a simple matter of increasing it a bit more. For now, let's try it with 50 Lemmings.

Spoiler

You both used an extra builder after the icicle trap at the bottom both to delay the second one. That builder can be put to better use than that, at least in the intended solution :P

For @Armani:

Thanks so much for the compliment and am happy to hear that you like my R1! :thumbsup: IMO this is also one of my more clever level titles that I've managed to come up with in a while :laugh: "Snow Way!" is a pun on "No way!" and not really something I thought of, but an in tongue cheek joke to how I've never made a Snow level before and hence why I entered this kind of level for your ruleset :)

Spoiler

Yup, that miner releasing both blockers is indeed intended, and I'm glad you thought that blocking close to the icicle trap to prevent the workers on the left side of it won't die to it :thumbsup: It's something I first learned from Lemmings Plus I in a final rank level, and in a way also inspired by your Color Coded level from the previous LDC :)

Same thing with building immediately after the digger finishes since that fall is fatal by a pixel, and nice job for quickly spotting the builder/miner combo :thumbsup: This would also be my very first level I've made that requires this combo :laugh:

You might had also noticed that I decided to stick with just the classic 8 skills for my R1 ;) Who knew this one can still be quite challenging?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Crane

This has got to be an overcomplicated backroute!  The timing is too perfect!  ("Snow Way!" V4)

kaywhyn

Shoot, I knew I should had stuck with a higher Lemming count! :forehead: Ok, let's try 60 Lemmings for V5!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Crane

How's this Kaywhyn?

EDIT: Oops, posted the level, not the replay!

ericderkovits

@Armani

your rule1 solution to the level is indeed intended. good job

Crane

V2 of The Incredible Doom Machine solved.

Spoiler
Used all the tools but saved 12 more than required and overall felt rather scrappy, so probably a backroute

IchoTolot

@Armani
Slight backroute to my R1 - added a zapper field.

@Crane
I thought of a nice fix without pickups to my R3. I added some steel and terrain and culled the floaters. maybe this will discourage that trick.

kaywhyn

Got a resolve for Icho's R3, as my pre-testing solution doesn't work anymore, though it's pretty much the same solution as it, just without the floaters and so should be acceptable like the pre-testing one :)

IchoTolot

Crane

Re-solved "Mr Lemmy Does Not Live Here Anymore".

Spoiler
The new splatform makes it fairly obvious what you have to do, but working out how many lemmings you want ahead of the blocker is still a puzzle to work out, but the clue is in the number of lemmings you're allowed to lose (gutted that I couldn't find a way to save that lemming the builds the bridge from the left hand side!)

P.S. kaywhyn's solution is much more impressive!  Thanks for proving me wrong!

Armani

resolved all the updated rule1 levels 8-)
(High Striker, Comm-Link Online!, Snow Way!)
They all look intended :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]