Author Topic: [DISC][FEAT] Included Level Packs [VOLUNTEERS WANTED]  (Read 7126 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][FEAT] Included Level Packs
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2024, 03:27:57 pm »
We need 11 levels, each of which should match at least one of the following descriptions (i.e. it can be two or more, or you can add your own ideas as long as at least one of these is fulfilled):

1) An L1 level remade using OhNo! styles
2) An L1 level with Mac/SNES counterpart RR/lem count/save req/etc
3) An L1 level with remixed skillset

Some ideas, pending Forum contribution:

:lemming: Mac version of Steel Mines Of Kessel, featuring 80 lems and a 90% save requirement
:lemming: "Missing repeat" level Mind The Gap - a "repeat" of Tricky 1 This Should Be A Doddle with more limited skillset and save requirement
:lemming: "Missing repeat" level Lemmingade Zero - a "repeat" of Fun 3 Tailor-made For Blockers with 0 Blockers

That sort of thing. (Specific) ideas welcome...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 03:58:08 pm by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][FEAT] Included Level Packs
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2024, 06:42:13 pm »
Originally posted 7/7/24

Volunteers Wanted

Well... this is now the only thing slowing down the release of 2.8. I can't manage all of this by myself, so this is a shout out for help with getting this last piece in place. The more the merrier, so don't be shy if you want to get stuck in and help out!

Here's what's needed:

TASK A Completed!

:lemming: TASK A - 120 levels for Yippee! Even More Lemmings need to be sorted into 4 groups of 30 levels

Ideal requirement: 4+ volunteers including myself (30 or fewer levels each)
Minimum requirement*: 2 volunteers including myself (60 levels each)

This is by far the biggest task, and will likely take a minimum of 1-3 hours depending on how well you know the levels and how quickly you can make decisions about difficulty, etc. For now, this task will only involve sorting the levels into 4 difficulty groups - ordering is a different task and will need to be postponed until this task is completed.

TASK B Part I completed!

:lemming: TASK B Part I - Yippee! Even More Lemmings levels need ordering within their groups

Ideal requirement: 4 volunteers including myself (1 group each)
Minimum requirement*: 2 volunteers including myself (2 groups each)

There are 4 groups of 30 levels in this pack; each group of levels now needs to be ordered (i.e. the levels have already been sorted into groups). This should take about 1-2 hours per group depending on how well you know the levels and how experienced you are at building level packs.

:lemming: TASK B Part II - Lemmings Multiverse levels need ordering within their groups

Ideal requirement: 8 volunteers including myself (1 group each)
Minimum requirement*: 2 volunteers including myself (4 groups each)

There are 4 groups of 30 levels in this pack; each group of levels now needs to be ordered (i.e. the levels have already been sorted into groups). This should take about 1-2 hours per group depending on how well you know the levels and how experienced you are at building level packs. If you're relatively inexperienced, it will probably take longer, but can be seen as a very good exercise that may help you when it comes to building your own pack in the future!

:lemming: TASK C - Lemmings Multiverse needs 11 more levels

Ideal requirement: 11 volunteers including myself (1 level each)
Minimum requirement*: No minimum volunteer requirement (i.e. I'm happy to contribute all 11 levels myself if necessary), but Task A and Task B must have enough volunteers for this task to go ahead

See this post for details. If you can contribute just 1 level, that's better than nothing.

*Please note:

I'm leaving this request up until 31/07/24. The minimum requirement for each task must be met within this time for this project to go ahead.

If we only get volunteers/contributions for Task C, and none for Tasks A and B, this will mean that the minimum requirement for Task C has not been met.

If the minimum requirement for all tasks has not been met, then the DMA Compilation Pack will stay as it is (apart from grouping the Holiday levels as Tygerboi suggested, that's already been done) and the proposed re-groupings will be cancelled due to lack of interest/support.

If you wish to put yourself forward as a volunteer to get some of this done, thank you! Please reply to this post and mention which task(s) you'd be interested in helping with. The more the merrier - hopefully this can prove to be an interesting community project! :lemcat:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 02:40:22 am by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][FEAT] Included Level Packs [VOLUNTEERS WANTED]
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2024, 03:42:02 pm »
Thanks to @ericderkovits who has volunteered for and completed Task A by himself - great work, Eric! 8-):thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2024, 04:00:55 pm »
I'm not sure how much I believe in this project, but if it's going to be done, it's worth making sure it gets done well :P so I could help with task B if you can give us the groups from task A as a starting point.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2024, 04:11:05 pm »
if it's going to be done, it's worth making sure it gets done well :P so I could help with task B if you can give us the groups from task A as a starting point.

Agreed, thanks Proxima. Your help with this will be much appreciated!

We have all levels grouped into 4 categories in each pack now. All that remains is to order the levels within their groups. So, let's concentrate on ordering for now.

If you (yes, you!) want to take part, please grab one or both of the zips and have a look at the groups of levels. At present, they are grouped more or less correctly by difficulty, but now need to be ordered from 1-30 within each group.

However you decide to order them, please keep the level filename the same, and only change the number at the start. So, for example, let's say that it's decided that this level should be level 15:

06_Lemming_And_Lime

It would need to be renamed to:

15_Lemming_And_Lime

Even if you only order 1 group of levels, that's a valuable contribution to the project. Post your ordered group here in a zip or PM it to me on here or Discord.

N.B. Don't worry about the groups in Multiverse that have less than 30 levels - these can still be ordered, and the 11 additional levels can be worked in later. The important thing at this point is to get a basic order sorted, which can later be re-worked as necessary.

EDIT: Downloads removed
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 02:37:03 am by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2024, 02:35:28 am »
Progress!

Eric has now ordered Yippee! Even More Lemmings, so all that remains is to order the Lemmings Multiverse levels. I've already made a start with this, but if anyone wants to make any suggestions or submit an ordered group (or even a fully ordered pack!), we can extend the deadline to 31st July 2024 now that significant progress has been made.

If you wish to get involved, download the attached zip and use this guide to order the levels as you wish:

Guide to ordering levels (click to show/hide)

Many thanks again to Eric for helping with this so far!

Heads up for volunteers!

Any levels in ohno_brick, ohno_rock and ohno_snow may have exits in the "wrong" position (i.e. too high or too low) - this is not incorrect!

These styles have been updated in SLX 2.8, and the exits are in fact in the correct position for the updated styles. This update has been made in part due to Rivals exit markers now being a thing, and in part due to improved number positions for exits with lem caps.

So, if you wish to playtest the levels, my advice would be to do so using a copy of SLX 2.7.3 and the "old" version of the level. Or, if that's inconvenient and you'd rather just move the exit, that's OK. I'll most likely use a fresh copy to compile the pack anyway, and simply update the ordering as suggested.

EDIT: Download removed
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 07:35:17 pm by WillLem »