Author Topic: Looking for Certain Files -Part2  (Read 9711 times)

Bug Sniper

Looking for Certain Files -Part2
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:51:47 pm »
I have downloaded the Lemmings PC/Windows version and I added about 1,000 levels to the game that I can play with. I've downloaded them from about 2 good source site (I can write them if you are interested).

However, I look for some levels of the original game that didn't appear in my PC/Windows version. They are the "Special Levels":

A Beast of a level
A Beast of a level II
MEANCING
What an AWESOME level

If you can show me addresses where I can find files for these maps (dat or lvl files I suppose), I will be grateful. And also if you can explien to me how can I add music to the lemmings gameplay because I have some nice sounds that I downloaded and it would be nice to hear them while I play..

If you can find a map file that has the same picture as the 4 levels I mentioned above I will be grateful (I can modify the skills of the map to match the original map. All I need is a map with the same layout).

Thanks for reading it all through . . .

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
Re: Looking for Certain Files -Part2
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 06:10:46 pm »
The things you mentioned are not possible in Lemmings for Windows.  You might try Lemmini instead.  It does have those levels.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:45:02 pm »
However, I look for some levels of the original game that didn't appear in my PC/Windows version. They are the "Special Levels":

Even if I give you the DAT/LVLs for them, the fact is Windows Lemmings doesn't support special graphics levels.? Even in the DOS version the special graphics levels' terrain are stored in a different format from normal graphics.? The best I can give you is a BMP version of those graphics.? I have no knowledge of how WinLemm stores terrain graphics and even if I do, it might not be possible to store a 960x160 bitmap as a terrain piece.

And also if you can explien to me how can I add music to the lemmings gameplay because I have some nice sounds that I downloaded and it would be nice to hear them while I play..

If you merely want to replace some of the existing music with your own, I believe you can just copy over the existing MIDI files that WinLemm uses (ditto for sound effects which should be WAV files if I recall).? Adding new music is an entirely different matter altogether and will probably require hacking the game EXE, and I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding WinLemm's EXE.

So like Mindless said, you are probably better off using Lemmini instead.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:30:51 am »
Even if I give you the DAT/LVLs for them, the fact is Windows Lemmings doesn't support special graphics levels.  Even in the DOS version the special graphics levels' terrain are stored in a different format from normal graphics.  The best I can give you is a BMP version of those graphics.  I have no knowledge of how WinLemm stores terrain graphics and even if I do, it might not be possible to store a 960x160 bitmap as a terrain piece.
WinLemm indeed has the LVL files for the 4 special levels, but they just define the stats, entries and exists (not the actual "special" objects). There are even mini-screenshots for these levels, where you can just see the entry and exit. So my suspicion is, that these levels were treated "specially" on the Amiga version as well. Most probably the background image was not just stored as terrain tile, but it was loaded directly into the background mask.
Anyway, due to the enhancement of the SPR format used in WinLemm, I think it should be possible to store images that large - the question is however if WinLemm is able to read and process them or if it has some internal restrictions. Even if, one would need a converter to SPR format (which doesn't exist yet AFAIK), also the LVL file would have to be changed and last but not least you would have to find a way to force WinLemm to actually use the LVL file (which it doesn't). Not to mention WinLemm kinda sucks on fast computers (e.g. FF is unusable).
All in all I certainly agree that Lemmini would be the better choice - after all that's the reason why I did it ;)