Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Ability to Change Pieces to Different Tileset  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
[SUGGESTION] Ability to Change Pieces to Different Tileset
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:15:11 am »
(Depending on how the new formats work when they're implemented I suspect it may be possible to do what I want to do with with a Find/Replace operation in Notepad but I'd have to see)

In earlier versions of NeoLemmix, levels made using recolored sets (e.g. Genesis, or those EGA ones Giga's been releasing) were easily interchangeable. While overall the functionality of being able to use multiple tilesets for one level is more useful than the older functionality of being able to switch a level's tileset it would be nice to have some way of changing the color variant used.

Suggested implementation: with some number of objects/terrain pieces selected, have some way (perhaps in the Inspector) to replace them with pieces from another tileset while leaving object/terrain IDs intact.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION] Ability to Change Pieces to Different Tileset
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:17:05 am »
A workaround you can use is to delete the style file the level currently uses (or - move it out of the "styles" folder, then move it back afterwards). When you try to open the level, it'll ask you to select a style to use in place of the one that it now can't find.

The more complicated variant, for if you just want to change *some* of the pieces, would be to cut and paste them to a new level, do that, then cut and paste them back to the original one.

(Depending on how the new formats work when they're implemented I suspect it may be possible to do what I want to do with with a Find/Replace operation in Notepad but I'd have to see)

When the new formats come into use, it'll be possible to do this. Currently, the old formats are still being used for everything apart from replays.

Here's a couple of samples of how things look in the new (text-based) format:

$OBJECT
  COLLECTION default
  PIECE window
  Y 40
  NO_OVERWRITE
  DIRECTION right
$END

$TERRAIN
  COLLECTION dirt
  PIECE moss_06
  Y 114
  NO_OVERWRITE
  ONE_WAY
$END
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: [SUGGESTION] Ability to Change Pieces to Different Tileset
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:03 pm »
A workaround you can use is to delete the style file the level currently uses (or - move it out of the "styles" folder, then move it back afterwards). When you try to open the level, it'll ask you to select a style to use in place of the one that it now can't find.

This seems to work.
For some reason the first time I tried it the editor crashed giving an error stating that the file *nameOfStyleHere*.dat could not be found, but on subsequent attempts I couldn't replicate the crash.