[SUGG. PLAYER]fixed lizard animation, other?

Started by mobius, October 02, 2016, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobius

<this does not affect gameplay or physics at all. It's purely graphical>

I've fixed the chameleon trap animation; if you're unaware, in one frame of the the trap (as the lizard is beginning to open its mouth; the lemming isn't present so in-game it appears to vanish for a very brief time. I've installed a new animation into the graphic set which I've tested and looks pretty nice (imo).

@namida: would you like me to give this to you for you to review and upload to the main game?

Are there any other minor graphical things that need addressing? I feel like there are but I can't think of them at the moment.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

namida

I'll certianly integrate that if it looks good. :)

I can't think of any either, but if anyone can, point 'em out. :)
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

mobius

Simon reminded me of the arrows in Fire set moving the wrong direction. This will be a little harder but I think I can do it.

I'd also like a discussion on the color of some of the arrows. Apart from Crystal set; I really like the colors of all the arrows from super Lemmini  for Oh No More Lemmnigs. [red in bubble, brown in rock, yellowish in brick] Snow is also red in Lemmin but that one's been kept in NL for a while now.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

namida

I'm okay with changing those colors if there's generally support for it.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Dullstar

In regards to arrows: I'd prefer keeping the colors the same as DOS unless there's a very good readability reason to change them.

Fixing animations so they make more sense is fine with me, though.

mobius

I think the colors used in superLemmini for the ONML tileset arrows stand out much better than DOS.

Here you can see bubble set at least, can't find clips of the others but rock (I think) is a brownish color and brick is a yellow color. Both stand out better than the plain white from DOS. The one exception I'd make is the crystal set; the DOS red arrows stand out well and look pretty cool (I've heard other people say as well).

https://youtu.be/NxzWrU1Hjc8?t=16m57s

-Hakuin Ekaku

mobius

attached fixed fire and rock sets.

I also have the new trap for pillar set (as seen in Arty's stream) but I should probably post that elsewhere. Arty mentioned the trigger area should be altered but that's the level's fault not the trap. I should adjust the level.

-Hakuin Ekaku

namida

Added these changes for Rock and Fire in for the next update.

I'm not going to modify the existing spike trap, at least not until another major update occurs (like the V1.43n-F to V1.47n one), which would most likely be when the new formats are introduced fully.
My projects

mobius

Quote from: namida on October 05, 2016, 11:10:11 AM
Added these changes for Rock and Fire in for the next update.

I'm not going to modify the existing spike trap, at least not until another major update occurs (like the V1.43n-F to V1.47n one), which would most likely be when the new formats are introduced fully.

I'm not going to modify the exiting trap; I'm adding a new one; the version I talked about in IRC, if you want it. If this update is excepted there will be two similar traps but a clear difference, if you saw Arty's stream; visually during a level it's always clear which type the trap is.

-Hakuin Ekaku

namida

I missed seeing the stream live; I watched Flopsy's recording of Arty playing my level but didn't watch the rest yet.

Send me a copy of the modified set and I'll take a look, and consider including it.
My projects

namida

Since there's no response, I decided to have a go at this myself. Here's my attempt at a modified version. Specifically:

Standard spike traps: Mostly unchanged. The trigger area reaches one pixel further into the wall (unrelated fix), but is the same height and position. However, the graphic has been altered to be much more honest. This should guarantee almost perfect compatibility for existing levels, perhaps just with some graphical oddities.

Newly added spike traps: These have the original full-size graphic, and a larger trigger area to match.
My projects