[NeoLemmix] [SuperLemmini] Zemmings Vol 1

Started by zanzindorf, September 24, 2016, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forestidia86

Played through this pack (new formats NL) since I couldn't resist the beautiful graphics. I really like the color blue.
I generally enjoyed playing these levels. A general observation was that due to the design of the terrain skill blueprints came often handy. It was sometimes hard to see where are holes and where not.

Some remarks on the single levels

L1 + L2: Were nice easy introductory levels.
L3: Here I couldn't see the one small hole at first and wondered why they are wandering off. The level is mainly about using your ressources wisely.
L4: I'm not sure if that's a backroute; it feels somehow hacky. Here I think I ran out of time in one attempt since I didn't increase the RR timely. But increasing the RR was actually only a formality. But this level was tougher for me to figure out and I fiddled around a bit.
L5: Again not sure if it is fully intended but if then it used an interesting advanced trick.
L6: Here I attempted at first something different but it didn't work out because of "checkerboarding" (lemmings fall through a tiny hole (between diagonally adjacent terrain) of a miner tunnel when walking up the slope). But it was generally an interesting and not too stressful way of managing multiple hatches.
L7: This level took me a while and I tried many hackish things. The solution is literally out-of-the-box, which is interesting.
L8: Here I made at first the mistake of clearing first the righthand way, which didn't work out skillwise. When dealing with the left side first everything fitted together well. It's an interesting roundabout level.

zanzindorf

Thanks Forestidia for playing my pack! Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding your solutions:
Spoiler

Looks like the only severe backroute you found was for L6. I may have to patch that in a future version. I'll have to find some way of preventing the player from building on that lower platform to bridge the gap. It bypasses an important part of the level. Thanks for finding that!

For the other levels, I tried to design them with multiple solutions in mind. Playing back your solutions, it looks like you found a few new paths that others haven't found yet, so that's pretty cool.

Looks like you found the main solution to L5. There's at least one other way to complete it :D

joshescue18

I finished this level pack.

WillLem

Wow... these levels are very tricky! Struggling with Tendrils, can't seem to find a solution that works. I'll keep going with it...

zanzindorf

Thanks for playing my pack WillLem :)

If you want to give up on any level, let me know. I can get you a hint or a replay.

WillLem

Quote from: WillLem on October 28, 2019, 12:18:16 AM
Wow... these levels are very tricky! Struggling with Tendrils, can't seem to find a solution that works. I'll keep going with it...

Quote from: zanzindorf on October 28, 2019, 10:23:07 PM
Thanks for playing my pack WillLem :)

If you want to give up on any level, let me know. I can get you a hint or a replay.

Got it! :)

Managed to find a 2 minute solution with 1 miner left over (see replay). I'm curious to know what the official solution is tho! This was a real puzzler, great work.

Best,

-WillLem 8-)

EDIT - I've also attached replays for the other levels as well. Enjoyed playing through these :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Some thoughts on the levels:

For the fun ones, I went for 1 minute solutions for a bit of a challenge. Love the music for Lems Keep on Slipping, Slipping btw, very nice.

Tendrils was the most difficult for me for some reason, it took me a while to see that route and figure out how to make it happen. Once I'd done this though, I was used to the new tileset and it helped me to apply solutions to the others.

Some backroutes here, but I will have another go at these sometime to see if I can work out the official solutions. To be fair, the backroute I found to The Frozen Section probably came about because of the work I did on Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings - I've become very used to finding ways to tunnel up to an exit through thin platforms!

zanzindorf

Thanks for the feedback! I'm having trouble opening your replays. Which version of NeoLemmix are you using? They unzip as RPL format, which I don't recognize.

WillLem

Quote from: zanzindorf on October 31, 2019, 04:42:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm having trouble opening your replays. Which version of NeoLemmix are you using? They unzip as RPL format, which I don't recognize.

Ah! I used SuperLemmini to play through the pack. If you have it installed, it will open the replays just fine. If not, I'm happy to play through the pack again in NeoLemmix. Let me know :)

zanzindorf

Ah, gotcha. I'll have to find my copy of Lemmini. It's been a while since I've played it.

Here are the intended solutions for each level, though, with your replays I may or may not make some changes:

https://youtu.be/_J2OW3MV-a8

WillLem

I finally got around to redoing these replays in NeoLemmix. Managed to replicate most of my solutions, but there are one or two physical differences between the two engines which meant I had to find slightly different ways of doing things.

Enjoy!

pferguso

This game look phenomenal!! I must play it!!! :lem-mindblown:

kaywhyn

Hi @zanzindorf,

I've went through Zemmings Vol 1 again for SuperLemmini to save replays this time and hence finally have video solutions uploaded to my channel.

Link to playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJs5Xe14Gt_NeSNYmj-Rqh49 Enjoy! :P

Also attached my replays! :) 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0