Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2 (Playing)

Started by namida, February 16, 2015, 04:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

namida

Alright, level submissions for the second contest have now closed, so it's time to start playing the levels and deciding what ones you like and so on!

Here are some rules for this topic:

1. You are allowed to discuss anything you like about the levels, be it your ideas on solving them, your opinions on the appearance of the level, etc.
2. Any details relating to the solution of the levels, unless very vague, must be spoiler-tagged. For example, "I liked that trick" is fine, "I liked that trick near the end" is probably also fine (though use some discretion), "I liked that cloner trick near the end" should probably be spoilered, and "I liked the trick where you clone the lemming then bomb both versions while the zombie is falling" definitely needs to go behind a spoiler tag.
3. Posting replays of your solutions is perfectly acceptable.

(Yes, these are the same as the rules were in contest #1. Why fix what isn't broken? :P)

We have two NeoLemmix submissions, one traditional Lemmix submission, and one Lemmini submission. The downloads are in a ZIP attached to this post; the Lemmini submission uses a custom graphic set so that's included too.

Super Starship by DynaLem
Format: NeoLemmix
Graphic set: Sega

On The Same Level by Giga
Format: NeoLemmix
Graphic set: Rock

Tomb of Ramses II by IchoTolot
Format: Lemmini
Graphic set: Egyptian (included)

Criteria Fulfilled by Nepster
Format: Lemmix (CustLemm mechanics)
Graphic set: Brick

To run the NeoLemmix levels, the easiest way is to simply use the "Load Single Level" option that has recently been added to NeoCustLemmix. Simply press F6 on the title screen, then select the level file.

To run the Lemmix level, you can either open it in the (Neo)Lemmix Editor and use playtest mode, or rename the file to 0101.lvl, place it in the same folder as CustLemmix, and turn on LookForLVLFiles. Either way, make sure you're using CustLemm mechanics (in CustLemmix, this can be chosen in the Configuration screen).

To run the Lemmini level, first copy the custom graphic set into the "styles" folder, then select "Load Single Level" from the menu.

Voting will be opened in about a week. For this one, it'll be done in two rounds (lasting 4 days each); two votes per user in the first round, one vote per user in the second round (out of the top two levels), assuming that it's a straightforward result with two levels ahead of the rest in the first round.
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

IchoTolot

Solved two of them (100%). Replays attached! (You can probably guess which one needs some VERY deep thinking. My very first ALPHA attemt is in there, too)

Some thoughts:

Super Starship:
Spoiler
Cool design concept with the Sega tileset. Going for 100% is also not that easy, while it ís certainly not frustraiting either. And some IchoTolot fail facts: Trying to avoid the "Traps" is not the way to go here  :XD: I must get used to these switches  ;P

On the same level:
Spoiler
Good multitasking level where the different groups help each other. 100% can be difficult, but I made the trick in the replay work  8-), but it looks not as pretty as the flying spaceship.

Criteria fulfilled!:
Spoiler
Well....Well... how do I get these rodents and these too, without using a lot of building stuff, so I still can get to the exit. Ignoring one hatch (the botton one *grumble*) seems not to work at first sight (but it must because 100% is possible). Well you can see first first "ALPHA ATTEMD" in the Replays (it doesn't save a single Lemming  :(). I think the solution to 100% is perfectly thought through (it must be or I will feel incredibly stupid :P) and even a regular beating the level solution seems to be a VERY VERY difficult one at first sight (might go into the frustrating zone, but I will see). Hope I can solve it in the week!
Looks: Still looks not as good as the spaceship, but it looks solid.

Wafflem

Quote from: IchoTolot on February 16, 2015, 11:16:16 AM
Super Starship:
Spoiler
Cool design concept with the Sega tileset. Going for 100% is also not that easy, while it ís certainly not frustraiting either. And some IchoTolot fail facts: Trying to avoid the "Traps" is not the way to go here  :XD: I must get used to these switches  ;P

Spoiler
That's okay, there aren't a lot of locked exit puzzles, and most certainly not any of them in the Sega style until now. Only NeoLemmix has them.

Also solved two of the levels; the intricate brick level by is already frustrating and really does indeed require a lot of thinking. I have a feeling that all builders will be used in that level.

On the same level by GigaLem:
Spoiler
A cool multitasking level; as IchoTolot said, it's not easy to get 100%. It's also one of those multiple approach levels, which is quite fun.

Tomb of Ramses II by IchoTolot:
Spoiler
I didn't think I would beat this one after seeing Nepster's complicated and intricate level, but in the end I had a lot of fun with this level. Multitasking can be very hard at first which made me press the pause button a lot. The design is wonderfully intricate.

A level like this (and other videos I've seen of yours) makes me really excited to play your pack!

Since I cannot save a Lemmini individual level replay, fortunately, Bandicam saves the day, so the video can be seen right here. Note that the video looks choppy if you play it straight from your browser, so I would suggest downloading it first.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

namida

I havent' played the levels yet (I'll probably get around to it tomorrow night), but from looking at them, my thoughts:

Super Starship
Spoiler
Definitely nice to see a Sega level. Doesn't look overly hard, but it does look like it'll be fairly fun. I must try and see if I can complete this one without builders, too. :P

On The Same Level
Spoiler
Very simple design compared to the others, but that definitely isn't a bad thing. It does look like saving 100% will be a nice challenge, while not too hard to do.

Tomb of Ramses II
Spoiler
The design is cool, though I feel the number of entrances might be a bit overkill. Though I'll have to wait until I play it before I can say for sure about this.

Criteria Fulfilled
Spoiler
Wow, talk about massive. :P This is also the first traditional Lemmix level to be entered into a contest on these new boards, so that in itself makes the level stand out. It doesn't look like it'll be overly hard, even for 100%, but looks can be deceiving, and this is a level by Nepster, so... :P
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

Nepster

Super Starship
Spoiler
Trickier than Giga's and IchoTolot's levels and quite fun. The no-builder approach adds some spice to the level and should yield another 100% solution (though the best no-builder solution I have so far is 97%).

On The Same Level
Spoiler
Even saving 100% was fairly easy. The level looks a little bit bare.

Tomb of Ramses II
Spoiler
So many hatches, but hardly anything to do to save all lemmings. The level looks nice though.

As for my own level: Do NOT try to get 100% (at least not on your first attempt)! Although this is of course possible (I can upload a replay if necessary), my level is meant to pose a challenge even with the current 75% requirement.
Quote from: DynaLem on February 16, 2015, 01:11:21 PM
... I have a feeling that all builders will be used in that level.
At least for the 100%-solution you are correct.

@DynaLem: If you want to save replays in Lemmini, look in your main Lemmini folder. There you should find some file called replay.rpl, which contains exactly what it says.

IchoTolot

Info: I used NeoLemmix for ALL my replays! Forgot that there was a Lemmix level so the replay won't work with it.

Annnnd just a quick  info to my own one: All the hatches and a lot of the layout have a real purpose. I know some of it seems a bit odd.... (It may come back with a few twists in 1-2 months  8-)). Furthermore try to not use any bashers for more of a challenge!

Nepster

Info: My level can be solved in NeoLemmix, though I would be very surprised if someone manages to save 100%.

@IchoTolot: Looking forward to see this level again! 100% without bashers is still not terribly hard, but requires some planning.

IchoTolot

GOT IT!  8-)  My solution is Messy as hell, not without misplays and 100% could have saved more (76% is really pathetic lost ~ 10 Lems just through misplays), but I got through! Replay attached played in NeoLemmix.

(The 100% one must really be a masterpiece of precisicion and planning)

Huge respect for that Monster you have created, Nepster  :thumbsup:

Akseli

Here are my solutions, nice work again all the level designers!