Any MODs of the ONML *DOS* musics?

Started by namida, November 08, 2013, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

namida

I'm aware they exist of the Amiga version musics, but is there any of DOS? I could always convert midis, though I don't even know if there's a full set of those...
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)
Non-Lemmings: Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (a Commander Keen fangame)

ccexplore

I believed I made MIDIs for all 6 for Proxima for Cheapo styles usage back when Cheapo's still a thing, but some are based more on Amiga version while others more on DOS version (basically I tried to take what I felt were best features from both, on a song-by-song basis).  I seem to recall that the DOS version's tunes tend to be slightly longer (and in one case significantly so), though there was also one tune for which I feel was frankly ruined on DOS version, and so I stuck very closely to Amiga version for that one's MIDI.

I would actually say the Amiga ones are close enough that, if it was just a matter of a few tunes having a few more measures and verses, you could well potentially just try to add them into the MODs yourself.

Anyway, if it's still of interest, I guess I can try to dig them MIDIs out over the weekend.

namida

The 4th one, by any chance? I wouldn't say it's ruined in DOS, but the Amiga version does sound better. (The reverse is true for the 1st track, while on its own its not bad, the Amiga version is just painful compared to the DOS one... though the DOS one doesn't fit in as well with the other musics, but so what, it's the epicest Lemmings tune ever =P... well, except for a couple of the L3D CD musics, specifically the rarer of each of the Castle and Space themes (the themes first used in Fun 10 "Castle Lemalot" and Tricky 12 "Dot To Dot" respectively), and the more common Lemgo theme (first used in Fun 19 "Attack of the 50ft Lemming" IIRC)).
My projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

ccexplore

The 4th one, by any chance?

Yep, 4th one in DOS (which IIRC is 6th in Amiga since those two are switched between the versions).  I had a relisten on DOS and I guess it's not quite as bad as I seem to remember, but definitely I still prefer the Amiga one (basically the DOS one is lacking in both bass and melody, resulting in a far duller version compared to Amiga's.  Oh, and what's with the gap in looping?).  The 5th one is the one where the Amiga version omitted the intro and a set of ending verses that DOS have.  I'm not sure I remember anything substantially different with the 1st track though.

namida

Apart from a couple of notes that sound off in the Amiga version (but since that came first, realistically, it's the DOS version they're off in - but it sounds better IMO), the melody is the same. The difference is the sound of the instruments - I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the Amiga version has a deep, fuzzy, almost-mechanical sound to it, while the DOS version sounds more... crystally, I guess? I really have no idea what to call it. In general (for both Orig and OhNo), the Amiga versions tend more towards the former style and the DOS towards the latter, but ONML music 1 is a very extreme case where it's really noticable. Orig music 6 (going by what I assume is the Amiga order - it's track 5 in Lemmix order for the Fun ranking, which I think uses the Amiga order but skips the first track - at any rate, one thing I can say for sure is it's track 6 in the Master System version and LP DOS Project) is one example where the difference is not very noticable.
My projects

DragonsLover

I made midis of the 6 Dos Oh no! More Lemmings songs that I posted http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=839.msg17555#msg17555" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">right there for weirdzod, but it seems it has been ignored a bit. I was hoping he could remix them using a better synthesizer system but anyways. I made these midis out using the Yamaha XG Softsynthesizer S-YXG50 synthesizer and it sounds very nice. It may sounds differently for your system.

Tell me what do you think of these midis.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

namida

They're great! =D

You don't mind if I use them for the Lemmix player for the next Lemmings Plus pack?
My projects

DragonsLover

I don't. You can use them as long as you mention me in the credits.

I'm glad you enjoyed! http://www.lemmingsforums.com/Smileys/lemmings/smiley.gif" alt=":)" title="Smiley" class="smiley" />

namida

Of course!

I've posted a couple of preview pics (and videos of two levels) over in the Lemmings Plus DOS Project topic in Level Designing, if you wanted to have a look. =) Don't want to create a new topic for it at such an early stage.
My projects

geoo

Nice, the sounds actually have a pretty similar feeling to the original DOS sounds in your MIDIs, Dragonslover, even when playing them back with the default Windows soundfont that usually makes everything sound atrocious. Which soundfont are you using, do you have an .sf2 file of it?
Though I guess the only way to get perfectly accurate sounds is to just stick with a .vgm dump.

namida

^ From experience, that's generally true of most of DragonLover's midis, unless he intentionally decides to get creative.
My projects

DragonsLover

Thanks!

Using testdro, I managed to convert by hand the notes of the adlib tracks toward the midi format. I tried to make them sound like the Dos version, but slightly improved with better instruments.

Like I explained earlier, I used a virtual synthesizer host, VSTHost, along with the "YAMAHA XG-Softsynthesizer S-YXG50" synthesizer plugin in order to improve the quality of the instruments. So, no sound fonts. However, I think I can record the songs into WAV and MP3 if you're interested.