Author Topic: Stupid Computer Features  (Read 22438 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Stupid Computer Features
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 03:01:00 am »
This barely makes sense.  We had to reinstall Windows (again) and we decided to instead of reinstalling XP go with 7.

The Graphics rating is 3.5, but the Gaming Graphics rating is 5.4.  Weird...  of course the graphics part is for Aero, and unless Compiz comes out for Windows, the desktop effects are staying with Linux.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 12:53:45 pm »
I've just remembered another "feature" I absolutely can't stand and should have mentioned before. The ****ing "Insert" key. Why does it exist at all? What state of mind would someone have to be in to actually want to press it? Why, oh why, is it right next to the very small Backspace key? What masochist thought up this layout?

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 08:00:07 pm »
Once upon a time, the keyboard commands for Copy and Paste were Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert, respectively. It still works in Notepad, so give it a try!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:24 pm »
I still use Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert for Copy and Paste, actually. It just feels more natural to me than Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V because I don't have to move my main typing hand (my left hand) out of position to do it.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:21 am »
The ****ing "Insert" key. Why does it exist at all?

I believe when computers first come into availability, people still think of keyboard entry on a computer like it is on a typewriter, where there's simply no way to do the equivalent of an actual insert, but there are ways to sorta do "overwrite".  So I think keyboard entry on the computer started off as overwrite-mode only, until someone finally smarted up and figured out insertion is possible and far more useful.  It would make sense that at the time, it would be useful to have a key that can switch between the old "overwrite" mode that everyone's familiar with, and the new "insert" mode.  (Or, I could just be talking out of my behind this entire paragraph... :P)

Of course, nowadays the overwrite mode is fast becoming an anachronism.  Insert mode is the default, and often the only option available actually.

As for its close proximity next to backspace, I believe you have IBM to blame for that.  The original IBM PC/XT's keyboard layout does not have that section of keys between the main alphanumeric section on the left, and the numpad section on the right.  So if I recall correctly, the original IBM PC keyboard would have NumLock next to Backspace.  (The middle section was added when IBM PC's AT model come out I think.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:09 am »
I believe the guy who made the layout is Robert Sholes, but that does not explain the insert key, only the letter arrangement.  Many believe it is intentional that all the letters in the word typewriter are on the top row.  The reason has to do with typewriter stuff, but as far as the computer keyboards go, I have no idea.
Keyboards can be rearranged, if you would like to remove your insert key completely, I can tell you how to do it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:14 am »
Keyboards can be rearranged, if you would like to remove your insert key completely, I can tell you how to do it.

:o
<note to self: never lend any computer equipment to Dullstar...> ;P

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:24 am »

:o
<note to self: never lend any computer equipment to Dullstar...> ;P
Indeed.  He tends to lose bits of them.  While not mine, he was doing a cleaning job on a Macintosh ADB keyboard and I've noticed that the I key is missing.  And I sure hope he knows how to get that spacebar back on.

PS. Dullstar, don't touch my Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I love it and don't want it to get hurt!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:00 am »
Ummm....  I only clean ones I think are dirty (either they are visibly dirty or used ones).

By the way, that Macintosh ADB keyboard had a strange mechanism on it, and I know space bars are hard, but that one's the only one that gives me lots of trouble.  Sometime, take the space bar off of at least one non apple keyboard, then take the space bar off one ADB's.  I promise you can tell the difference.

P.S.  I only clean equipment that is in my possession, or in some cases in our basement computer lab, spare dirty keyboards.  I won't clean anyone else's keyboards unless they specifically request.  And out of 3 keyboards, I only lost 1 keycap.  That's what percentage?  Besides, you don't even like that ADB anyway.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 02:56:20 am »
As I said, I hope you can reassemble that thing.  I took a look at it when I was cleaning the basement and I couldn't find anywhere where that lone spring looked like it fit...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:36 pm »
Here's a stupid computer forum feature:  Accidental 8) smilies [ie. when you meant "8" ")"]  :XD:

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 03:00:59 am »
Fortunately, you can disable smileys on your current post in Additional Options.

As for me, I always disliked the automatic "turn the smiley into an image" gimmick, so I just started making my smileys backwards. (-:

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 12:47:39 pm »
Apparently, doing your smilies backwards means you're left-handed. :-\
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 03:49:46 am »
Actually, it doesn't.  I'm right handed!  (:
Another way that works on some smileys is to put = instead of :
But just putting (8 won't work for what I think ccexplore is complaining about, as he probably wants
Code: [Select]
8)Certainly you've seen this before?

1) blah blah blah
2) blah blah blah
3) blah blah blah
4) blah blah blah
5) blah blah blah

Watch what happens 5-10!

6) blah blah blah
7) blah blah blah
8) blah blah blah (no intentional smiley here)
9) blah blah blah
10) blah blah

Of course, that list is mainly for people who don't know what we're talking about!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
Actually, it doesn't.  I'm right handed!  (:

I know you can do it if you're right handed. (: Try telling that to the exam board Edexcel, who also think LMAO stands for "Laughing My Ankles Off", and :F is a vampire with a tooth missing. :P

But just putting (8 won't work for what I think Pooty is complaining about, as he probably wants
Code: [Select]
8)

It wasn't me who complained. That was ccexplore. ;)
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]